Thin platelets of glassflake overlap within coating films, creating a lengthened 'tortuous' path for any permeation of moisture or destructive ions. This effect is used to provide a barrier to moisture in anti-corrosion coatings such as those used on offshore installations, through to providing an oxygen barrier in fire retardant systems.
The chemical resistance of ECR glassflake offers excellent substrate protection in the harshest of conditions. This protection extends to physical attack, the hardness of the flake increases the resistance of the overall coating system to abrasion and wear.
Performance Enhancements in Coatings
- Barrier protection from moisture permeation
- Improved thermal stability
- Abrasion and scratch resistance
- Long term chemical resistance
- Isotropic mechanical reinforcement
- Improved fracture toughness
- Enhanced undercutting resistance
- Reduced cathodic disbondment