Key Areas of Glassflake Barrier Application
- Floor sealer coating to control escaping moisture from green concrete
- Tank linings to prevent permeation of harsh chemicals in storage or processing
- Desalination pump and pipe coatings to reduce permeation of salt ions
- Flexible packaging films to slow transmission of oxygen to extend food storage times
- Non-stick cookware coatings to reduce ingress of oils and staining molecules
With the availability of thinner grades of glassflake, produced by the spun method of manufacture, a greater number of glassflake layers are formed within the film, increasing the length of the tortuous path. With this the rate of permeation can be reduced further, often by an order of magnitude, if not greater, while often requiring a lower loading level of glassflake. The use of thinner flake also allows the retention of a high aspect ratio flake, even when there is a requirement to significantly reduce the particle diameter, for example with a thin film coating.